Connecticut Children‡s Medical Center is now giving a chance to explore the health care industry through it‡s a rewarding child life student internship. This is a learning program that will last 10 weeks.
The purpose of this internship program is to help students in enhancing their knowledge and skills of working to fulfill the specialized needs of children and families dealing with illness and stress.
Through the program, student interns will work closely with certified child life specialists in a variety of patient settings to learn about the effects of hospitalization on children and families and gain exposure to a range of medical procedures.
Connecticut Children‡s Medical Center is a nationally recognized pediatric hospital located in Hartford, Connecticut. It is one of the best children‡s hospitals in the nation according to a U.S. News & World Report‡s survey. This hospital is committed to improving the physical as well as mental health of children through family-centered care, research, education, and advocacy.
This internship will take place in Hartford, Connecticut.
This internship will run for 10 weeks.
As an intern, here you will find a good environment, mentorship from the professionals, a great working culture, and opportunities to make new connections and polish skills through events, workshops, and meetings.
For this post, candidates must:
- Demonstrate a working knowledge of the field of Child Life and the role that a Child
- Life Specialist plays on the healthcare team
- Be enrolled in a Child Life Program at an accredited school
- Possess a solid background in child development
- Have hands-on experience working with children of various ages, particularly children in stressful situations
- Have a minimum of 100 hours of practicum or fieldwork experience within a hospital or healthcare setting
- Maintain a GPA of 3.0 or higher
- Exhibit the ability to self-critique as well as to accept constructive criticism
- Be dependable and be able to work independently
- Possess above average communication skills both orally and in writing
How to Apply:
To start the application process, you will need to have the following documents:
- Common Child Life Internship Application (available at www.childlife.org)
- Child Life Council Eligibility Assessment Report
- Resume with cover letter
- Responses to the included series of essay questions
- Official academic transcripts from all colleges/universities attended
- Two letters of recommendation in signed/sealed envelopes
All the documents must be forwarded to:
Christine Tatem, MEd, CCLS
Connecticut Children‡s Medical Center
Child and Family Support Services, 5C
282 Washington St.
Hartford, CT 06106
The application deadline for the fall semester is March 15, 2021.