Do you have a dream of working with one of the most diverse marine mammals? If yes, Shedd Aquarium has a wonderful Internship opportunity for you that will not only turn your dream into reality but also provide you the chance to obtain professional experience and skills.
Shedd Aquarium’s Marine Mammals Internship is designed to offer specific, in-depth experiences to college students interested in aquarium-related careers. The program will take place in Chicago, Illinois.
This intern will have the opportunity to exercise leadership and communication skills and join a network of professionals caring for animals in Chicago and across the country.
Chicago, Illinois will be the work location of this program.
The program will provide you numerous perks
- Admission to the aquarium and other cultural institutions
- The chance to see how Shedd works behind the scenes
- Gift shop and café discounts and discounted parking while interning
- Helping to spark compassion, curiosity, and conservation for the aquatic animal world
- Meeting a diverse group of staff members, interns, and guests who share a passion for aquatic life
Candidates must meet certain criteria in order to participate.
- At least 18 years old.
- Willingness to support Shedd’s mission and represent the organization well to all guests.
- Commitment to high-quality work and ability to follow directions to maintain high standards of care and cleanliness.
- Strong work ethic, positive attitude and genuine curiosity about animal care and training.
- Ability to work well independently and with a team.
- Ability to communicate openly and professionally, willingness to ask questions and to collaborate toward solutions.
- Ability to regularly work all weekend days and holidays as well as late-night shifts when assigned.
- Ability to lift objects of 40 pounds or more as well as bend, crouch, squat and carry heavy buckets as needed.
- Marine mammals’ interns will be exposed to cold temperatures and saltwater on a daily basis.
- Animal ambassador program interns will be exposed to cold and warm temperatures, water, fishes, and animal fur and dander on a daily basis.
How to Apply:
Online applications will be accepted.
The application deadline for Summer is March 1st
The application deadline for Fall is July 1st