Leidos is a Fortune 500™ company aimed at embracing and solving some of the world’s most pressing challenges. Through science and technology, Leidos makes the world safer, healthier and more efficient.
Our Civil Group offers an array of exciting career opportunities for the best IT, energy, logistics and engineering professionals.
Our Transportation Solutions Operation delivers cutting-edge research in some of the most exciting technological fields and advances state-of-the-practice solutions in transportation safety. A new era of mobility requires specialized expertise to address paradigm shifts in how we travel and move goods.
We support our customers with:
Connected and Automated Vehicles
Aircraft Traffic Planning and Operations
Human Factors Research
Analysis, Modeling and Simulation
Transportation Safety and Operations, and Asset Management
e-Construction and Accelerated Construction
Research Facility Management
Leidos is seeking an Software Development Intern who will be a member of a dynamic team working on the Federal Aviation Administration’s En-Route Automation Modernization ERAM) technology, which is the heart of the Next Generation Air Transportation System and the pulse of the National Airspace System helping to advance our transition from a ground-based system of air traffic control to a satellite-based system of air traffic management.
ERAM is vital to the future of air navigation, providing the foundational platform required for FAA to enable NextGen solutions, via modernization programs such as System Wide Information Management, Data Communications, and Automatic Dependent Surveillance- Broadcast. ERAM will provide benefits for users and the flying public by increasing air traffic flow and enabling improve efficiencies in En Route Air Traffic operations.
As Software Interns, the team will provide challenging Software development tasks that will enable you to learn about working on a large, complex system.
Tasks defined are sponsored by the team leadership or Software Architecture and are relevant to the needs of the organization.
Flexibility in taking on open ended challenges and learning new languages is very helpful.
The ability to ask good questions and learn quickly are the most important skills you can bring.
The primary responsibilities listed are appropriate for a full time software developer.
The performance displayed during an internship tells us who’s qualified to do Software Development on ERAM.
• Modernizing the AT control system by improving the availability and performance of the ERAM system.
• Supporting ERAM as it continues to migrate ERAM from the AIX operating systems to Linux. Detailed knowledge of Linux OS and OS concepts desirable.
• Optimizing the experience for the flying public, Air Traffic Control, and the airline industry by improving the collaboration and decision-making capabilities of flight controllers
• Developing and maintaining the FAA air traffic control software (primarily Ada95/C++) on a UNIX/Linux platform. There are a number of support/maintenance functions that utilize PERL/PYTHON.
• Performing software development as needed for the ERAM system
• Coordinate Solutions with Systems Engineering
• Coordinate the development of new capabilities and upgrade to common services provided the applications via the
Candidates must be enrolled in a degree program in a relevant discipline.
Computer Science or Computer Engineering Degree (Working Towards ok)
Demonstrated Software Development Skills/Capabilities
Excellent Verbal and Communication Skills
Demonstrated ability to debug and solve problems
A Strong Desire to Learn
To apply for this job please visit jobs.hireheroesusa.org.