Assateague Island is now welcoming students to explore its working culture as resource education interns. This is a 12-week long learning course, commencing on May 26 and concluding on August 15, 2020.
This position will take place in offices based in the Maryland and Virginia districts of the island. Hired interns will be provided a 2 weeks long training program after which they will be asked to perform nearly all duties and programs expected of a salaried naturalist.
This program will help toward learning the basics of marine biology and barrier island ecology. It will also include beach walks, bay discovery programs, aquarium talks, children’s crafts, crabbing and clamming demonstrations, surf fishing, and kayaking.
To be considered for this post, interns must have a college-level academic background in natural science or education preferred, but not necessary. They also must have good public speaking and writing skills.
Maryland and Virginia Districts of the island are the main locations.
The duration of this program is 12 weeks.
You will get:
- Assateague Island National Seashore provides free housing for interns who live more than 50 miles away from Assateague Island.
- The National Park Service will provide a uniform shirt.
- Interns receive reimbursement for food and living expenses.
- 2 weeks long training program.
- Chance to attend events.
- Mentorship throughout the internship.
- Lots of networking opportunities.
Please meet the criteria before applying:
- College-level academic background in natural science or education preferred, but not necessary
- Public speaking and writing skills
- Valid driver’s license
How to Apply:
Following documents are required:
- A cover letter or formal email explaining your reason for interest in the position. Please indicate which district you would like to be considered for.
- Resume (including at least 2 references)
- Grade transcript (does not need to be official)
All the above documents must be e-mailed to [email protected]. Applicants also can mail them to:
Kelly Taylor, Assateague Island National Seashore,
7206 National Seashore Lane, Berlin, MD 21811
The slot will remain open until the appropriate candidate is found.